Mikko supports our clients with various aspects of law based on his long experience. Before joining Socrates, Mikko has held a number of roles over the course of his around 50-year career as a lawyer. He has worked as a member of the Supreme Court of Finland and the president of the Vaasa and Helsinki Courts of Appeal. He has held different law drafting positions at the Ministry of Justice, most recently as Director of Legislative Affairs. Mikko retired from government service in 2020.
Mikko has served as the chair and a member on various legislative working groups and state bodies. Most recently, he acted as the chair of the Personal Injury Advisory Board (2006–2020) and the committee appointed by the Ministry of Justice to prepare the reform of legislation concerning liability for damages of public sector entities (2021–2023). Mikko also chaired the committee that prepared the Bankruptcy Act. Moreover, he has co-authored books on bankruptcy law. Representing Finland, Mikko has participated in the European Union’s legislative procedure and international contract projects. He has also acted as an arbitrator. Prior to joining us, he worked as a Senior Advisor in a major Finnish law firm.
- Trained on the Bench, 1978
- Master of Laws, 1973
- Socrates Attorneys Ltd, Senior Advisor 2022–
- Castrén & Snellman Attorneys Ltd, Senior Advisor 2021–2022
- Helsinki Court of Appeal, president 2009–2020
- Vaasa Court of Appeal, president 2005–2009
- Supreme Court, judge 2001–2005
- Ministry of Justice, head of legislation 1996–2001
- As a legislative advisor and in other legislative positions 1973–1996
- As chairman, member or secretary of numerous state commissions and working groups and other institutions 1973–2023
- Finnish (native), English, Swedish, Germany